Thursday, July 2, 2009

Ruby's Ice Cream

If you wonder what there is to do in the armpit of Missouri, there's nothing more or less than in any web of small towns. But on a hot summer day, there is Ruby's. No one else has that. Driving along Highway 44 through St James, Missouri? Stop at Ruby's. Do it right now. Just be careful of Ruby, who runs the place herself. She is a crabby old broad, and I think she bites. George is afraid of her, but we forgive her on account of the creamy deliciousness she so generously scoops out at $1.50 a scoop.

Ruby's homemade ice cream like Coconut Almond or Fudgy Caramel Pecan or Chocolate-Raspberry Torte tastes even better scooped into fresh waffle cones. Ruby scoops it BIG and cheap — though I'd pay a great deal more for ice cream like this. It's no Cold Stone. It's solid cold and creamy and hand-churned as your grandma made for you that one time. I don't have a picture of it, because I was busy eating that lump of Coconut Almond on top of pink Cherry Jubilee in a waffle cone for my dinner. And anyway, who needs to be reminded I'll have to drive four hours the next time I want a taste. In fact, if you're stopping by, I want one now.

No comments: